09. Inspired by Hafez: Michael Mofidian & Jâms Coleman
11 October 2020, 15:30 - 16:30
Scottish-Iranian bass-baritone Michael Mofidian and pianist Jâms Coleman are both former Oxford Lieder Young Artists. Michael, now a member of the Jette Parker programme at the Royal Opera House, and Jâms have created a programme within our day-long exploration of the 14th-century Persian poet Hafez. They include songs by Schumann from his cycle Myrthen (his wedding gift to his wife Clara) that set Friedrich Rückert and texts from Goethe’s West-East Divan, both heavily influenced by Hafez. They also perform translations of Hafez by Georg Daumer, set to music by Brahms.
This concert will be streamed completely live from the Holywell Music Room. Shortly afterwards, it will also be available to watch again (using the same ticket and link) until 1 November 2020. Click here for further information on how tickets will work this year.
This event will be presented by Ian Skelly.
TRY BEFORE YOU BUY
Robert Schumann (1810 - 1856)Widmung (Op. 25 no.1) from Myrthen
- Freisinn (Op. 25 no.2) from Myrthen
- Lieder aus dem Schenkenbuch im Divan I „Sitz ich allein“ (Op. 25 no.5) from Myrthen
- Lieder aus dem Schenkenbuch im Divan II „Setze mir nicht, du Grobain“ (Op. 25 no.6) from Myrthen
- Talismane (Op. 25 no.8) from Myrthen
- Aus den „Östlichen Rosen“ (Op. 25 no.25) from Myrthen
- Du bist wie eine Blume (Op. 25 no.24) from Myrthen
Johannes Brahms (1833 - 1897)Liebesglut
- Botschaft (Op. 47 no.1)
- Wenn du nur zuweilen lächelst (Op. 57 no.2)
- Bitteres zu sagen denkst du (Op. 32 no.7) from 9 Lieder und Gesänge
- So stehn wir, ich und meine Weide (Op. 32 no.8) from 9 Lieder und Gesänge
- Wie bist du, meine Königin (Op. 32 no.9) from 9 Lieder und Gesänge
Richard Wagner (1813 - 1883)
PianistFrom Anglesey, North Wales, Jâms Coleman is a pianist who enjoys a rich and varied musical life performing as a soloist, chamber musician and vocal accompanist. As a vocal accompanist, he enjoys collaborating with many singers and his engagements include recitals with Ailish Tynan, James Gilchrist, Sir John Tomlinson, Robert Murray, Nicholas Mulroy, Nicky Spence, Robert Murray, Andrew Kennedy, James Newby, Lauren Fagan and Nicholas Mogg. He looks forward to recording a disc of Loewe songs with Nicholas Mogg for Champs Hill Record... Read Full Biography
Bass-baritoneWinner of the 2018 Royal Over-Seas League Singers’ Prize and the 2017 Pavarotti Prize, Michael Mofidian was born and raised in Glasgow, and educated at the University of Cambridge and the Royal Academy of Music. A student of Mark Wildman, Michael is a 2018-2020 Jette Parker Young Artist at the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden. A versatile singer and actor, Michael feels at home in a wide range of repertoire and styles. For the Royal Opera House his roles have and will include Narumov Queen of Spades, Alcade Forza del destino, Angelo... Read Full Biography
This event is part of a series:
Over a packed eight days, world-class artists including Benjamin Appl, Ian Bostridge, Sarah Connolly and Roderick Williams will present some 40 concerts and events, from venues across Oxford and completely live. From the comfort of your own home, you will be able to enjoy these concerts live-streamed in the highest quality. We’ll be exploring every possible advantage of this temporary ...