Tallinn to St Petersburg: Kai Rüütel & Roger Vignoles
17 October 2018, 19:30
This event will be broadcast from Holywell Music Room
Estonian mezzo-soprano Kai Rüütel, who has shot to fame since being a Jette Parker Artist at the Royal Opera House, introduces us to the songs of her homeland, with works by Veljo Tormis, Ester Mägi and Mart Saar. Alongside these, she and Roger Vignoles perform songs by Rachmaninov and Rimsky-Korsakov.
Click here to buy your programme pass for all evening concerts (12 - 27 October 2018) for just £40.
All programme passes will be available to collect from the Friends of Oxford Lieder Desk at all concerts.
Miina Härma (1864 - 1941)Ei saa mitte vaiki olla ('I cannot stay silent')
Johannes Brahms (1833 - 1897)Wie Melodien (Op. 105 no.1) from Fünf Lieder (Op. 105)
- Immer leiser wird mein Schlummer (Op. 105 no.2) from Fünf Lieder (Op. 105)
- Klage (Op. 105 no.3) from Fünf Lieder (Op. 105)
- Auf dem Kirchhofe (Op. 105 no.4) from Fünf Lieder (Op. 105)
Sergei Rachmaninov (1873 - 1943)O, dolgo budu ja, v molchan'i nochi tajnoj ('In the silence of the secret night') (Op. 4 no.3) from Six Romances
- Poljubila ja ('The Soldier's Wife') (Op. 8 no.4)
- Zdes' khorosho ('How fair is the spot') (Op. 21 no.7)
Ester Mägi (b. 1922)
Veljo Tormis (1930 - 2017)
- ~~~ Interval ~~~
Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov (1844 - 1908)Plenivshis rozoj, solovey ('The Nightingale') (Op. 2 no.2)
- Na kholmakh Gruzii ('On Georgia's Hills') (Op. 3 no.4)
- Serenade (Op. 4 no.4)
- Drobitsya, i pleshchet, i brizzhet volna ('The wave breaks') (Op. 46 no.1)
- Kogda volnuyetsya zhelteyushchaya niva ('When the ripening wheat fields gently stir') (Op. 40 no.1)
Mart Saar (1882 - 1963)Ennemuiste ('In Days of Yore')
- Kõrs kahiseb ('The Straw Murmurs')
- Kadunud ingel ('Lost Angel')
- Sügismõtted ('Autumn Thoughts')
- Mis see oli? ('What was It?')
- Üks ainus kord ('Only Once More')
mezzo-sopranoSince her graduation from the Jette Parker Young Artists Programme in 2011, Estonian mezzo-soprano Kai Rüütel has been engaged at Royal Opera House, Dutch National Opera, Theater an der Wien, Teatro Real, Opera Vlaanderen, Gran Teatre del Liceu, Scottish Opera, Théâtre du Capitole Toulouse, and Dallas Opera. A consummate singer and actress, she has collaborated with directors such as Robert Carsen, Laurent Pelly, Keith Warner and Calixto Beito. In the 18/19 season Rüütel returns to Theater an der Wien to s... Read Full Biography
PianistRoger Vignoles is one of the most distinguished piano accompanists of our time. In a career spanning five decades he has become recognized throughout the world as a leading exponent of the art of song. He has appeared at all the world’s principal venues and festivals, from the Concertgebouw to Carnegie Hall, and with many of the world’s foremost artists, such as Sir Thomas Allen, Barbara Bonney, Christine Brewer, Florian Boesch, Bernarda Fink, Elina Garanca, Susan Graham, Dame Kiri te Kanawa, Angelika Kirchschlager, Dame Feli... Read Full Biography
This event is part of a series:
The 17th Oxford Lieder Festival will celebrate a rich tapestry of music, words and performance in European song. Our Grand Tour of song will showcase the pinnacles of the repertoire while exploring wider cultural and geographical influences. International stars, prize-winning young artists and a wide range of concerts and other related events will take us on this beguiling journey. View the ...