Part of a series or song cycle:
If you would like to use our texts and translations, please click here for more information.
Franz Peter Schubert was an late Classical and early Romantic composer. He produced a vast oeuvre during his short life, composing more the 600 vocal works (largely Lieder), and well as several symphonies, operas, and a large body of piano music. He was uncommonly gifted from a young age, but appreciation of his music was limited during his lifetime. His work became more popular in the decades after his death, and was praised by 19th century composers, including Mendelssohn, Schumann, Brahms, and Liszt.
Information from Wikipedia. Read more here.
See Full Entry
Johann Ludwig Wilhelm Müller was a German lyric poet.
Wilhelm Müller was born on October 7, 1794 at Dessau, the son of a tailor. He was educated at the gymnasium of his native town and at the University of Berlin, where he devoted himself to philological and historical studies. In 1813-1814 he took part, as a volunteer in the Prussian army, in the national rising against Napoleon. He participated in the battles of Lützen, Bautzen, Hanau and Kulm. In 1814 he returned to his studies at Berlin. From 1817 to 1819, he visited southern Germany and Italy, and in 1820 published his impressions of the latter in Rom, Römer und Römerinnen. In 1819, he was appointed teacher of classics in the Gelehrtenschule at Dessau, and in 1820 librarian to the ducal library. He remained there the rest of his life, dying of a heart attack aged only 32.
Taken from Wikipedia. To view the full article, please click here.
See Full Entry
Sorry, no further description available.
Previously performed at:
- 27 Oct 2018: Mastercourse Concert
(As part of a song cycle/series:)
- 13 Oct 2021: 33. Katherine Broderick & Kathryn Stott: Schubert: Winterreise (second p...
- 12 Oct 2021: 29. Katherine Broderick & Kathryn Stott: Schubert: Winterreise
- 27 Feb 2021: 04. Winterreise: Dietrich Henschel & Sholto Kynoch
- 25 Mar 2019: Harriet Burns, Jonathan Stone and Roderick Williams - Rycote
- 14 Oct 2018: Winterreise: Robert Holl & Graham Johnson
- 16 Oct 2017: Winterreise: Roman Trekel & Michael Dussek